Sunday, April 15, 2012

This I believe..

          You can’t teach an old dog new tricks…False; I believe ANYONE can learn no matter what their age or disability status is.  When I was in 9th grade, I had a final project to complete, and the only way to work with a partner was if we went to another school to do a lesson. So my friend and I decided on doing a healthy foods and ways to stay fit lesson twice a week to the local elementary school’s Multi-Handicap classroom. We choose those students because my friend had a fear of public speaking.

          Our first visit there, we feel in love with the students and we learned about their disabilities and what they can and cannot eat or do.  So every week we came up with activities and snacks then we would buy the snacks and whatever the activity was (i.e. tossing a ball, mini frizzbees, or dancing etc.).  Our second to last time there we were playing catch with little balls, when the one girl Myah was taken out of her wheelchair and put on the floor. Now Myah who was ten at the time, cannot walk, crawl, or talk.  So she was just relaxing sitting on the floor while we rolled the ball to her and her aid would help her with the ball.  All of a sudden Myah changed positions and was on all fours and started crawling for the first time ever.  Everyone in the room was silent and stunned.  She only went about two feet before she collapsed but we were so proud of her.

          That was my big Aha moment.  Right then and there I decided I officially wanted to be a Special education teacher.  Those teachers see so many different kinds of miracles and they are a huge part of those students’ lives.  Special education teachers made a huge difference in my brother’s life (he’s handicapped), my brother never crawled but he learned to walk and socialize after years of being in the hospital and four open heart surgeries.  His teachers gave him encouragement and support every step of the way. They never gave up on him, when everyone said he couldn’t do something.  Anyone can learn no matter what the circumstances are.

No comments:

Post a Comment